United States Growth Tracker
30 July 2021
- US GDP grew at 6.5% in Q2 2021 after expanding by an annualised 6.4% in Q1.
- Key indicators show economic activity increased further in June after picking up of Q1 has extended into Q2.
- Consumer sentiment has continued to remain low, well below pre-covid levels.
- Unemployment claims for June eased again but employment numbers remain well below early 2020 levels.
- Sale of passenger cars in September were higher than any other time since September 2019.
Real GDP Growth 1961 - 2020
Since 1961, annual American real GDP growth has been following a falling trend year-on-year.
Quarterly Real GDP Growth Q1 2008 - Q1 2021 ($billion, 2009 chained)
Leading & Composite Indicators
OECD Composite Leading Indicator
The OECD Composite Leading Indicator® (CLI) is designed “to provide early signals of turning points between expansions and slowdowns of economic activity”. The components include: Dwellings started (number), Net new orders for durable goods, share prices: NYSE composite, consumer sentiment indicator, weekly hours of work: manufacturing, purchasing managers index, and th