The Sales Managers' Indexes provide the earliest monthly
data on the speed
of economic activity in key growth areas of the world.
Key advantages of the SMI's :
- The SMI's provide the first indication each month of the speed and direction of economic growth.
- The SMI's provide the most complete indication of growth, covering all private sector activity.
- The SMI's are based on a key occupational group - sales executives - uniquely able to sense accurate changes in business activity levels.
- The SMI survey base - salespeople - are used by virtually all businesses, including in frontier markets, unlike other occupational groups.
- The SMI's focus on the worlds growth areas - Africa, Asia and the America's
Why the SMI's are needed
Businesses need growth. Unfortunately much of the worlds growth today derives from countries where economic data is either entirely missing, hopelessly incomplete or just fabricated. The Economist (15.5.14
) highlighted the problem in relation to Africa, "Africa is the continent of missing data. Fewer than half of births are recorded; some countries have not taken a census in decades".
World Economics has recently highlighted (in Africa
, and The America's
) the large underestimate
of most countries GNP data due to out of date base years and the unrecorded shadow economy.
The SMI's bypass all the data faults of official statistics by obtaining representative samples of replies from panels of salespeople specifically set up to monitor levels of activity. Traders, economists and Government no longer need to guess if Nigerian growth is faltering, or if the Philippines is taking off as a growth market. As a consequence, over 40,000 economists, traders, bank officials, government advisers and others use World Economics data each month.
Sales Managers' Index: India
The Indian SMI is the first monthly indicator to gauge the speed and direction of economic growth for India. The SMI is a composite index of business confidence, market growth, sales, prices changed and staffing levels.
Sales Managers' Index: Mongolia
The Mongolian SMI is the only monthly indicator to gauge the speed and direction of economic growth for Mongolia. The SMI is a composite index of business confidence, market growth, sales, prices changed and staffing levels.